JUNE - Rwanda
Yoga Adventure Rwanda
A Yoga Retreat in the Land of a Thousand Hills
June 27 - July 6, 2018
Join Souljourn Yoga founder Jordan Ashley, and Reiki master/yoga teacher Joanne Silver, for the adventure of a lifetime as we explore the rich and diverse country of Rwanda, the “land of a thousand hills.” We’ll experience a full cultural immersion on this 10 day journey, from a game drive in Akagera National Park and monkey trekking in Nyungwe Forest National Park, to hiking in Volcanoes National Park and boat riding on Lake Kivu. We’ll also be diving into the local culture and spending a day with local artisans in Muhanga. Give back to yourself on this trip, while giving to others and supporting the girls of Komera , whose aim is to build self-confident young women through education, community and sport. In Rwanda, “komera” means “be strong, have courage”. We’ll have the chance to spend the day with these strong young women and see first hand how your support can make a true impact. Join us for this life changing and magical experience! New York Times included Rwanda in their 52 Places to Visit 2018 article.
DAY 1: Arrival in Kigali
Welcome to Rwanda! You’ll be met at the airport and transferred to the Heaven Boutique Hotel. You’ll have the afternoon to settle in after your long journey. Late afternoon, we’ll meet for yoga followed by a welcome dinner. Overnight at the Heaven Boutique Hotel.
DAY 2: Kigali to Akagera National Park
An early breakfast will be followed by a city tour and visit to the renowned Genocide Museum. After lunch, we will drive to the east of the country to Akagera National Park, known as the “gem of Rwanda”, where we’ll check into the Ruzizi Tented Lodge, a luxury tented village on the edge of the beautiful Lake Ihema. Late afternoon, we’ll take a “boat safari” on the lake to see hippos, crocodiles and water birds. Group dinner and overnight at Ruzizi Tented Lodge.
DAY 3: Day with Komera
DAY 4: Akagera National Park to Kigali
After an early breakfast, we’ll depart for a 4-6 hour game drive. Our safari will take us through the beautiful landscape of the park, with the possibility of seeing antelopes, spotted hyenas, zebras, buffaloes and giraffes! After driving to Kigali, we will practice yoga, followed by dinner. Overnight at Heaven Boutique Hotel.
DAY 5: Muhanga
Morning yoga and breakfast. Today we’ll take a trip to the south of the country to participate in the “Azizi Day in the Life of an Artisan” project. We’ll join our hostesses in their village for a morning of chores, a home-cooked lunch and an afternoon of learning how to craft. We’ll enjoy sharing life, work, conversation and laughter with the artisans and their families. Dinner and overnight at Heaven Boutique Hotel.
DAY 6: Kigali to Nyungwe Forest National Park
We’ll have breakfast and get on the road early to Nyungwe Forest National Park. After hiking through the rainforest, we’ll cross the renowned Canopy Walk, located 60 meters above the forest floor. Lunch will be followed by a hike tracking the beautiful black and white Angolan Colobus monkeys. Dinner and overnight at Emeraude Kivu Resort.
DAY 7: Lake Vivu to Volcanoes National Park
Wake up to the singing ritual of the local fisherman spreading their nets in Lake Kivu. After yoga and breakfast we’ll take a boat ride along the most scenic parts of the lake, learning about the different islands and traditions attached to them. Lunch at Kibuye/Karongi, before driving to Volcanoes National Park, located in the north of Rwanda. Dinner and overnight at Gorilla Solutions Lodge.
DAY 8: Volcanoes National Park
After an early breakfast, we will hike through the rainforest along the Dian Fossey tomb trail. We’ll learn about her amazing work in protecting gorillas, as well as seeing a variety of primates and bird species. Lunch will be followed by a canoe trip along the Mukungwa River in the foothills of the volcanoes. On our trip we’ll explore the lush countryside and local communities. Yoga, dinner and overnight at the Gorilla Solutions Lodge.
DAY 9: Gorilla/Golden Money Trek
After an early breakfast, today offers the opportunity for three wonderful experiences:
- Gorilla trekking. You’ll have the opportunity of a lifetime today, tracking a family of gorillas. Depending where the gorilla families are, this hike can be arduous, but the experience of being up close to these magnificent animals is well worth it. Additional cost: $1500 (the Rwandan government sets the price of gorilla permits. There are a limited number issued for any given day. If you are planning on going gorilla trekking, please buy your permit as soon as you sign up for the retreat!).
- Hiking to the crater lake at Mount Bisoke. The Mount Bisoke adventure is one of the most memorable activities in Rwanda. The top of this Volcano has a spectacular crater lake. It is a 6 hour hike, including the 2 hours descending to the start point. Experienced hikers can get to the top of the mountain in about 3 hours and return to the base in about an hour. Additional cost: $75
- Golden monkey trek. Hike to see the beautiful and rare golden monkeys who live in the bamboo forest at the bottom of the volcano. Additional cost: $100
Dinner and overnight at the Gorilla Solutions Lodge.
DAY 10: Departure Day
After yoga and breakfast, we’ll depart for the airport for our return flights. Safe travels!
- All meals + accomodation
- Airport pick up/drop off
- Bottled Water
- $300 tax-deductible donation to Komera
- *All activities (unless otherwise noted)
- *Gorilla Trekking Permit ($1500 and must be obtained in advance)
- *Golden Monkey Trek ($100)
- *Mount Bisoke Hike (additional $75 (for experienced hikers only))
- Visa upon arrival ($30)
- Travel Insurance (mandatory)
- Shared Room (Includes a $300 tax-deductible donation to Komera. Available until June 1st): $3025
- Single Room : $3535